You might be glad to know that India is the second-largest tea-producing country after China. It has been estimated that over 70% of the tea is produced and is being consumed within Indian itself. Some research shows that tea is indigenous to both western and northern India. It has been cultivated and consumed there for thousands of years.
The commercial production of tea in India started with the arrival of the British East India Company. At that point, the large tracts of land were converted for mass tea production. There are different types of tea in India grown for ages.
How Many Types of Tea or Chai are there in India?
Though India produces all varieties of tea, it is best known for its Black Tea, including Assam, Darjeeling, and Nilgiri. Of course, there is some loved-spicy chai that uses the country’s rich spices.
The geography of India allows many different climatic conditions and thus the resulting teas can be dramatically distinctive from each other. In general, the black tea of India is known to be very strong, bright, and have some delicate flavors too.
This article explains to you about Types of tea from India along with its potential benefits:
Different Types of Tea in India
1: White Tea:
Among all the purest types of tea, White Tea is one of them but at the same time, it has been least produced too. It is also the rarest variety of tea. This tea is usually not oxidized. It contains light color and flavor is the delicacy of white tea. The natural sweetness and unmatched subtlety are some other attributes of White tea. Moreover, it also contains less caffeine and more antioxidants than any other type of tea.
2: Black Tea:
Black tea is a variety of tea that is much stronger in flavor and is produced all over the four major tea production centers in India. The Assamese plants are mainly used for black tea. This tea is more oxidized than any other type of tea like white tea, green tea, etc. Black tea is stronger in flavor and contains high caffeine as compared to others. It is also the most consumed tea.
Some benefits of Black Tea:
- Black Tea contains anti-oxidant properties.
- This tea helps in boosting the consumer’s heart health.
- It contains lower bad LDL cholesterol.
- It improves the person’s gut health.
- Black Tea also helps in reducing high blood pressure.
- Black Tea reduces the risk of cancer.
- It helps the person to increase their focus.
- Black Tea reduces blood sugar levels.
3: Green Tea:
Green tea is also one of the most popular types of tea in India and it is the favorite amongst Asian green tea and contains a clean and delicious taste. Green tea has also lost its flavor over the years and it has been used in traditional Indian medicines for a variety of purposes. As such, there are different types of green tea available in the market. While drinking green tea it is believed that most of the person can get lots of health benefits from it.
Some Health Benefits of Green Tea:
- Green tea helps in improving consumer health as it contains bioactive compounds.
- Green Tea contains compounds that help in improving your brain function and thus it can make you much smarter.
- Green Tea speeds up the process of fat burning and improves the person’s physical appearance.
- It contains the properties of antioxidants and that lowers the risk of any type of cancer.
4: Oolong tea:
This handcrafted tea is made from partially oxidized mature tea leaves. Several types of oolong tea have been produced in the Wuyi Mountains of Northern Fujian. It is one of the most famous Chinese teas. Oolong tea is mainly recognized as Chinese tea and is served at different Chinese restaurants.
Different types of oolong tea offer people different types of flavors. These teas can be sweet and fruity with honey aromas or can be wood and thick with roasted aromas, or green and fresh with bouquet aromas. These are all based on the horticulture and style of production. Moreover, you can experience this flavored tea in various resorts of Kerala, Karnataka, etc.
5: Iced tea:
Well, nothing makes you more refresh than drinking a glass of iced tea on warmer days. By drinking this tea your mood gets more refreshed and also there are myriad other health benefits as well. This tea is enriched in vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants.
Drinking iced tea is all you need to get your daily fix of nutrients. It also helps you in weight-watchers delight as it helps in keeping you fuller for longer with frugal calories. There are also some health benefits in which iced-tea can do wonders to your body and you just need to ensure that you gulp it down unsweetened.
Health Benefits of Iced-tea:
- Iced Tea helps the person in keeping hydrated.
- It boosts consumer antioxidants.
- Iced Tea offers the person a superior and healthier swap for sugary soda.
- It might help in consumer’s teeth.
- Iced Tea helps in fighting cancer.
- Iced Tea is known for providing you a surprising source of manganese.
- Iced Tea helps in chilling your nerves.
- Iced Tea keeps your heartbeat healthy.
6: Herbal Tea:
There are hundreds of different herbal teas that you might drink and all of them varying with tastes and benefits. These benefits can range from treating a cold to relieving stress to anti-aging properties. In addition to it, unlike other teas, herbal tea doesn’t contain any caffeine. Thus, they are good to drink at any time during the day.
Herbal Tea is the only tea that usually doesn’t contain any leaves from the Camellia plant. These teas are made from the infusion or decoration of herbs, spices, fruits, or any other plant material in water. Herbal tea doesn’t contain caffeine normally and can be delicious hot or iced.
Some health benefits of Herbal tea:
- Helps in fighting with the cold:
Herbal teas provide you a great method for treating cold. One of the best tree herbs is the elder tree herb and helps you in fighting a cold. It contains all the properties that help you in clearing nasal passages and also stops heavy coughs. This can also help in reducing Asthma.
- Improves Digestion:
One of the great health benefits of drinking herbal tea is that it helps in improving Digestion. It breakdown your fat and speed up the emptying of the stomach. By doing it can help in reducing symptoms of indigestion, bloating, and vomiting too. Drinking herbal tea gives you the best help in maintaining your digestion system.
- Enhances Immune System:
Both the antioxidants and vitamins are mainly found in herbal teas and are great for fighting diseases and infections. It can also help you in protecting against oxidative stress and minimizes the risk of chronic disease. Some of the best herbal tea that helps in boosting your immune system is elderberry, ginger, etc.
- Reduces Inflammation:
You can daily drink herbal tea as it greatly helps the person if they are suffering from Arthritis. Herbal tea can help the person in reducing pain, swelling, and tiredness in joints. Ginger also helps in reducing inflammation due to the presence of its main component known as Gingerol. This makes the herbal tea an ideal treatment for both joint and muscle pain.
Don’t you want to look and feel younger? Well, antioxidants that have been found in herbal teas can show to aid in slowing down the aging process. It also prevents free radical damage and minimizes the aging cells in the body. Thus, it makes your skin and hair look and feels younger.
7. Lemongrass tea:
Lemongrass tea is healthy having a citrus flavor and thus benefits your body by detoxifying impurities, boosting immunity, and calming muscles and nerves. Its leaves are also used for flavoring in herbal tea as well as in Masala tea.
The health benefits of lemongrass tea are:
- Lemongrass tea is good for digestion.
- This tea is full of antioxidants.
- Lemongrass tea regulates high blood pressure.
- It helps in boosting metabolism and thus burns fat.
- This type of tea is great for natural skin and hair.
- It also helps in healing cold as well as flu.
- It gives you relief in menstrual pain.
8: Assam Tea:
Assam tea is a black tea and is known for its bright color and strong malty flavor. It is also one of the most popular types of tea in India. This tea plant is grown in the lowland region of Assam on the side of the Brahmaputra River.
There are many health benefits of Assam tea:
- Assam tea helps you in healing the tooth cavity.
- This tea keeps your body warm.
- Assam tea helps in developing healthier skin.
- It helps in improving cognitive function.
- Assam tea helps in fighting infections and inflammation.
9: Nilgiri Tea:
Nilgiri Tea contains a variety of tea and has been found in the hills of the Nilgiris district and Munnar. These teas are fragrant and flavored in nature. Nilgiri tea is a black tea and that comes from the picturesque tea estates of Munnar and Nilgiris of the Western Ghats mountains.
There are many health benefits of Nilgiri tea and they are:
- Nilgiri tea helps you in losing weight.
- It helps in reducing LDL cholesterol and the risk of heart attacks.
- Nilgiri Tea helps you in fighting diabetes.
- It helps to bust your stress.
- Nilgiri Tea helps in increasing the functionality of the immune system.
- It also takes care of your oral health.
- Nilgiri tea helps in controlling aging and makes the consumer look young.
- Nilgiri tea helps in increasing bone density.
10: Darjeeling Tea:
Darjeeling tea is available in black, green, white and is made from small leaves. Tea planting in Darjeeling became the first Indian product to receive GI (Geographical Indication) tag.
- Darjeeling Tea helps in improving overall health.
- It helps in reducing the risk of cancer.
- It helps you in increasing bone mineral density.
- It reduces the risk of gastric ailments.
- Darjeeling tea might aid in the promotion of weight loss.
- It helps you in boosting heart health.
- Darjeeling tea helps in improving immunity.
- It reduces human stress levels.
- It helps in improving skin health.
- Darjeeling tea improves the health of your hair and scalp.
11: Ginger Tea:
Ginger tea is best known for maintaining a good digestive system. These teas help you in relieving nausea and vomiting like peppermint. However, ginger tea also treats indigestion, heartburn, and stomach pains. While drinking ginger tea is one of the best natural methods for treating inflammation due to the gingerol found in the root. It is also good for reducing menstrual discomfort, weight-loss and helps in enhancing your brain function.
Different Types of tea in India along with their benefits:
- White Tea helps and keeps your skin acne-free and it also can impede the growth of bacteria that mainly causes infection.
- Green Tea has been found to help in inhibiting cancer growth. These teas can also lower your cholesterol and restrain the increase in Blood pressure.
- Oolong tea is widely recommended for its weight loss properties. This is also helpful in improving symptoms that are been associated with weak kidney and spleen energy.
- Black Tea also contains the properties of anti-oxidants and it helps you in protecting your body from the ravages of aging. This is also known for its antiviral and antibacterial properties.
Conclusion: In this article, we have explained all the different varieties of tea in India. Usually, tea can have more calming effects on your health, and according to research; people who drank tea in large amounts are less likely to get a heart attack than those who probably don’t. So, these are some Types of Chai in India and their great advantages.
Chai is another word for Indian tea! And the word chai has become synonymous with its type of fragrances. The spicy Indian tea is referred to as Masala chai. This beverage has more benefits for heart health, digestion, controlling blood sugar levels, and a lot more.
FAQs(Frequently Asked Questions)
1. How many types of tea are there in India?
There are many varieties of teas grown in India. As per an estimate, there are approximately 3000 different varieties of tea produced in India. Although many varieties of tea are grown in India, the country is famous for Black Tea, including Assam, Darjeeling, and Nilgiri.
2. What are the various types of teas?
The various types of teas are:
- White Tea
- Black Tea
- Green Tea
- Oolong Tea
- Iced Tea
- Herbal Tea
- Lemongrass Tea
- Assam Tea
- Nilgiri Tea
- Darjeeling Tea
- Ginger Tea
3. What kind of tea comes from India?
Different types of tea come from India including Assam Tea, Nilgiri Tea, Darjeeling Tea, Ginger Tea, Herbal Tea, Black Tea, Oolong Tea.
4. Is Indian Tea popular?
Indian tea is popular not only in India but all across the world. In fact, tea is the national drink of India as a huge quantity of tea is consumed in Indian households.